Tuesday, February 21, 2012

galway.

Friday, February 17th - Sunday, February 19th

My friends Sydney, Steph, Sebestian, Paul, and I hopped on a bus just outside of UL on Friday to start our weekend adventure in Galway!

Friday:
After making it to Galway we checked into the Kinlay House Hostel about 1/2 a block from the bus station. We ran to Dunnes grocery store to stock up for the weekend...  and took advantage of the great facilities for cooking and hanging out at the hostel! In true American fashion, we made a huge home-made mac and cheese and rashers (similar to bacon) feast for the guys!  We also enjoyed one of the grosses cakes ever in honor of Paul's 22nd birthday!




After dinner we headed out in search of a traditional pub... not a tough task here in Ireland! We eventually decided on The Kings Head where we got to enjoy a pint with some great live music (not too traditional, but still good)!


Saturday:
We spent the morning only blocks from the hostel enjoying some history at the Galway City Museum along the River Corrib. I put some interesting pictures up on Flickr.
But we couldn't stay there too long with the sun shining outside!  From the museum we headed up the river to Nun's Island in search of The Galway Cathedral... not too hard to find with the spires peeking up above the tree line.




The rest of Saturday afternoon was spent wandering the city stumbling upon churches, shops, pubs, and cafes in town!

Saturday evening we found a great restaurant called Busker Brownes for and Irish dinner of beef and guinness stew before a night of pub hopping!

Sunday:
In the morning our group was able to meet up with a few other UL international students staying in another hostel in Galway and make the walk out to Salthill!  It was beautiful!  Salthill is a small town snuggled right in along the Galway Bay.  We enjoyed the sun while walking along the Bay before heading to the Atlantaquaria to see some sea life!





Overall, the trip was unbelievable! we had a ton of fun sightseeing and wandering through town!
I took tons of pictures that I couldn't fit into my blog, but I have put up on my flickr account (I don't know what happened to the link at the top of my page, so just go to flickr.com and search lkmcmullen to see my pics!).

I'm off the Killenny next weekend, so keep a look out for more posts!

1 comment: