Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A few important lessons from my first couple of weeks...

Irish life is taking a little getting used to, but once I figured out the following things it all got easier:

1. Craic (said crack) means story or fun.  So when people say "What's the craic?" Or "That was craic!" it has nothing to do with drugs!

2. Instead of most buildings on campus beginning on floor 1 and working up to the top numerically, the first floor is G, then O, then M, then 1,2,3... and so on.  It makes it terribly confusing to find your classes!

3. Just because I technically speak the same language as the Irish students and professors doesn't mean I have any idea what they are saying!

4. Not only is it possible for Catholic mass to be less than an hour... it can be less than 30 minutes!  If you show up 10 minutes late you miss communion.

5. I will never take ISU's smoke free campus or free busses or wifi for granted again...

6. Irish students don't care that it is Sunday night, or Monday night, or Tuesday night... they are always up for a good party!

7. All the Americans that told me that nobody here would wear sweats, sweatshirts, and tennis shoes lied!  Many of the female students here on campus do dress very nicely, but many also dress for comfort and warmth... And so do I now!

8. Tea is consumed almost constantly... mostly because people are cold, not because they like it!  I have taken to this habit as well, but luckily I love tea!



I'll keep you posted as more oddities show up in my life here across the pond!

No comments:

Post a Comment