Thursday, January 26, 2012

My first pub night!

Last night I went out to the more quite pub on campus (The Scholar's Club) with a few Americans for our first taste of Irish traditional music!  Every Wednesday night students from the music academy, or anyone with musical talent, here at UL meet up to play and enjoy a few beers.




The atmosphere was amazing!  All the musicians sat in a circle in the corner of the pub, many with their backs to the room, and just played!  The instruments ranged from the flute to the banjo and could not have sounded more perfect together.  The rhythms and beats are amazing!

I can't wait to hear and learn more about the music here in my county. I am taking a course this semester called Traditional Irish Music and will have the opportunity to learn how each region of Ireland has created their own sounds and how music has evolved here over the years.  I will also have the opportunity to take a tutorial focused on a specific area of music culture here.  I can learn the tin whistle, the bodhran (a type of drum), Gaelic and english song, or social dancing!  I'm torn on which area to study... but I'll let you know when I make a decision!

I posted a video of the music to flickr if you want to check it out!

PS.... Despite the cold and the rain, the sun came out long enough today to provide this view out my bedroom window! I tried to find the leprechaun, but had no luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment